Kensington Marryatville Bowling Club

Home to the Kensi Kookaburras

Our History

The origins of the bowls club can be traced back to 1919. On February 19, 1919 there was a meeting of ex-servicemen and defence ready volunteers from WWI where a motion was passed to establish a Lawn Bowls Club.

The first Annual General Meeting was held on September 4, 1919 and the first clubhouse was built by members and volenteers in May 1920 with the official opening occurring on October 30 of the same year. The original building forms part of the existing club.

Key Milestones

1921: The club became officially associated with the SA Lawn Tennis Association

1925: Decision was made to form two sections, Lawn Tennis and Bowling in order to effectively manage the club.

1945: The end of WWII which brought many servicemen and women back into the club with many of those who served being active at the club for decades to follow.

1955: A plan for the construction of an addition to the Club House was prepared by the then General Treasurer. This resulted in the erection of the locker room and visitors’ room.

1976: Significant additions and updates to the Club House were completed.

1995: The amalgamation of the Bowls section of the club with the Marryatville Bowling Club occurred. The club became the Kensington Marryatville Bowling Club

2006: The men’s and women’s bowling sections were combined to create a single Bowls section.